(Student Opportunity - 4 or 8 month term)
Location: Elko, BC
Start Date: January, 2014
When you work at Canfor you work with people who have a passion for excellence. Our obsession with finding better ways to do things creates an exhilarating work environment with tremendous growth opportunities.
Learn more at www.canfor.com
Skills You'll Learn:
- Health & Safety awareness and recognition;
- Presentation and communication skills;
- Strategy development, analytical techniques and root cause analysis;
- Knowledge in the areas of PLC programming, design, and maintenance;
- Working in a team environment.
Location - Elko, BC:
Elko is located at the junction of Highway 93 and Crowsnest Highway 3, to the north of the Roosville Canadian-USA border crossing. Elko is situated in a narrow valley in the rugged Canadian Rocky Mountains, in the heart of southeast British Columbia. The community has lots of natural beauty because it is situated on a high plateau at the base of the Rocky Mountain range. Elko overlooks the beautiful Rocky Mountain Trench to our west and we are at the beginning of the famous Elk Valley, with the ski area of Fernie only 20 minutes to the east. Elko is a town of friendly people in a community that says, "Welcome."
Responsibilities / Duties:
Reporting to the Maintenance Superintendent you will be responsible for updating and maintaining current PLC programs. Depending on the successful candidates’ skills and interests, the ability to tailor and grow the responsibilities of the position may be available.
- Add and/or integrate new logic in order to streamline production processes and improve recovery costs.
- Pre-plan and pre-program for upgrades and integration of current PLC 5 programs into control logixs format.
- Ensure all PLC software and firmware is up to date as well as all process computers
- Order parts
- Supervise within the framework of a Continuous Improvement culture, providing leadership in safety, quality, cost, delivery, and employee engagement
- Assist in the development of team members through PLC training and 2way communication
The Ideal Candidate:
The successful candidate will bring the following experience and expertise:
- Safe work habits and a working knowledge of Worksafe BC OH&S regulations
- Sawmill experience helpful but not necessary
- Strong background in RSLogix 5/500, control Logix, Micro Logixs, and RSlinx, or proven academic and work related knowledge which shows an ability to quickly become proficient
- Proficient with PC hardware, software, networking and Microsoft Windows
- Working knowledge of Microsoft word, excel and power point
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Must be a self starter and highly motivated
- Ability to meet deadlines and flexibility with work schedule are required
- Good communication skills with a focus on customer delivery
Eligibility/ Education Requirements:
- Currently enrolled or have graduated within the last year from post-secondary diploma or degree in electrical, mechatronics, control system, electronic engineering; computer science or related field
- Proven strengths in programming and electronic machine management
- Understanding of AC/DC high & low voltage device management and trouble shooting
Salary & Benefits:
- Competitive salary - $18-24/hour depending on year of study and experience.
- Benefits package includes core medical coverage. Depending on location may include housing, moving, travel expenses.
- If applicable, Co-op fees will be paid for by Canfor
Interested applicants should submit their resume to the following:
Canfor, Human Resources
Fax: (250) 962-3240
*Please ensure you specify your location(s) of interest when applying.