(Student Opportunity - 4 or 8 month term)
Location: Bear Lake, BC (Polar Sawmill)
Start Date: January, 2014
When you work at Canfor you work with people who have a passion for excellence. Our obsession with finding better ways to do things creates an exhilarating work environment with tremendous growth opportunities.
Learn more at www.canfor.com
This is a developmental role which will be reporting to the Quality Control Supervisor. The successful candidate will help maximize profit and efficiencies by optimizing production standards to meet customer requirements. In addition you will direct improvement initiatives to raise quality awareness and training for all levels of the organization. Depending on the successful candidates’ skills and interests, the ability to tailor and grow the responsibilities of the position may be available.
Skills You'll Learn:
- Health & Safety awareness and recognition;
- Presentation and communication skills;
- Strategy development, analytical techniques and root cause analysis;
- Knowledge in the areas of quality control, design, maintenance and purchasing systems;
- Working in a team environment.
Location - Prince George, BC:
Known as BC's northern capital, Prince George is a bustling city located on the traditional territory of the Lheidli T'enneh with a population of approximately 76,000 situated at the crossroads of Highway 97 (north-south) and Highway 16 (east-west), and at the confluence of the Fraser and Nechako Rivers. As a major city of the Pacific Rim, Prince George is firmly tied to the global market. The City of Prince George is a vibrant, active and diverse community that provides a strong focal point and identity to the north, with a thriving economy that offers full opportunities for housing, employment, education, recreation and the cultural life of residents. Prince George is a community that is known for opening its doors and showing our visitors the beauty and magic of the north.
Responsibilities / Duties:
The position will report directly to the Quality Control Supervisor.
- Develop and improve management systems to exceed customer expectations and optimize grade outturn and profitability
- Analyze planer lumber grader optimizer decision process
- Ensure the regular monitoring and tracking of machine center performance
- Kiln opportunities and studies
- Engage employees and foster a culture of continuous improvement through implementation and sustainment of the Lean Sigma principals
Eligibility/ Education Requirements:
- Currently enrolled or have graduated within the last year from post-secondary Mechanical Engineering, Wood Products Processing or related field.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Must be a self motivated individual
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and organizational skills
- Computer skills, with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Well developed people and team building skills
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Lumber Grading ticket would be an asset
Salary & Benefits:
- Competitive salary - $18-24/hour depending on year of study and experience.
- Benefits package includes core medical coverage. Depending on location may include housing, moving, travel expenses.
- If applicable, Co-op fees will be paid for by Canfor
Interested applicants should submit their resume to the following:
Canfor, Human Resources
Fax: (250) 962-3240
*Please ensure you specify your location(s) of interest when applying.