Objectives & Targets for 2018 — Canfor
Forestry and Manufacturing
- Continue root cause analysis process at additional facilities to identify systemic process issues and solutions to prevent wood residue accumulations.
- Reduce the number of block harvest and road trespasses to six incidents or 0.37 per million metres of total delivered volume.
- Reduce the number of fuel management guidelines incidents by 10%, which equates to nine incidents or 0.56 per million metres of total delivered volume.
- Maintain a target of less than three incidents where herbicide is applied outside of a treatment area per cubic metres of delivered volume.
- Increase mill awareness of energy-efficiency opportunities to help achieve our standing 10% energy-reduction target.
- Roll out the energy audit process to three more divisions.
- Meet the company-wide medical incident rate below 2.0.
- Continue to focus on leveraging best practices and learnings across the company to enhance safety performance.
- Continue to focus on activities and initiatives that contribute to the creation of a world-class safety culture and shift our organization’s thinking to one of safety interdependence.
- Select and implement a new electronic Environmental, Health and Safety Management System for the organization
Community and People
- Promote success of First Nations candidates by providing 200 individuals with resume and career advice through career fairs and other conversations, including up to 50 from 2016 to 2020 through a partnership with the Prince George Nechako Aboriginal Employment and Training Association.
- Create a procurement strategy to support First Nations businesses.
- Create Aboriginal Cultural Competency Training modules that will become a part of Canfor’s orientation program.
- Launch the First Nations Work Experience Pilot Program.
- Launch the Human Resources Aboriginal Internship Program.
- Expand community and employee outreach in the US South.
- Establish scholarships for forestry and trades related studies at relevant schools associated with our US operations.
- Brand Canfor Southern Pine as the employer of choice throughout the US South.
- Launch enhanced respectful workplace training.
- Expand inclusive leadership training and enhanced diversity focus of development programs.
- Meet with mayors of all operating communities, with a focus on opportunities for collaboration and enhanced information sharing.